Growing family-wage jobs
We provide Portland companies with access to new markets, technical assistance, and loans so they can grow and hire. We connect Portlanders to job training and job opportunities. We support companies in high-growth sectors that create family-wage jobs.
To that end, approaches that integrate both place-based and people-focused solutions are necessary to drive high-quality employment opportunities within competitive industries and then fill those jobs with people of color and low-income residents.
Quality Job Growth – By 2020 Portland’s robust economy will have increased employment by 28,000 quality jobs, including nearly half at middle wages.
Business Vitality – Strong and growing Portland businesses are able to offer substantial middle-wage job opportunities.
Access to Career-Path Employment – Job seekers from across the socioeconomic and demographic spectrum can access quality job opportunities.
Key actions to achieve these outcomes focus on:
- Cluster action plans for Portland’s targeted industries (Athletic & Outdoor, Green Cities, Technology & Media, Metals & Machinery, Healthcare);
- Public benefit agreements as part of business assistance;
- Implementation of Greater Portland Global, the region’s international trade and investment strategy;
- Industry-level commitments to diversify workforce, establish career pathways, and increase local hiring;
- Partnership with public and private entities to promote Portland globally as a competitive location to start, grow, or locate a business, particularly for diverse business owners.
Projects & Programs
These are just some of our projects & programs that help grow family-wage jobs: