N/NE Community Development Initiative
The Interstate Corridor Urban Renewal Area (ICURA) will have $32 million in tax increment funds (TIF) for economic and redevelopment purposes between 2016 and 2021. The N/NE Portland Community Development Initiative, established by Prosper Portland and guided by an advisory committee, developed an Action Plan to guide the investment of those resources.
Contact: Sharon Smith, email OR 503-823-5340
The goals of the N/NE Portland Community Development Initiative (CDI or Initiative) are to:
- increase employment and wealth creation opportunities for long-term and returning residents, business and property owners,
- strengthen community capacity to produce economic opportunities, and
- support cultural/community assets.
To achieve these goals, the Initiative established desired outcomes and strategic investment priorities for the remaining $32 million in ICURA funds. Investments will be consistent with the ICURA Plan and the Prosper Portland 2015-2020 Strategic Plan, and will build on complementary, community-led initiatives such as the State of Black Oregon. The Initiative focused on TIF-eligible ”bricks & mortar” development projects and also prioritized non-TIF investments that support the goals of the Initiative, such as business technical assistance.
To extend that technical assistance, Prosper Portland has selected Microenterprise Services of Oregon (MESO) as the N/NE Business Navigator to cultivate relationships with business owners or aspiring business owners of color, provide culturally specific support and provide connections to resources and opportunities for those businesses to thrive. For more information about MESO’s resources contact Felicia Wells-Thomas, Business Navigator at 503-841-3351.
Action Plan Update
This pie chart shows how money has been spent among the five Action Plan goals.
View detailed data about the progress of each Action Plan goal, including the amount of money awarded and demographic information about the recipients.
The Initiative has incorporated public outreach consisting of individual interviews and focus group discussion with key leaders invested in community economic development activities. In addition, the general public submitted their input at community forums held in September 2016 and March 2017.
N/NE Action Plan Leadership Committee
The committee works in partnership with Prosper Portland to implement the Action Plan for the N/NE Community Development Initiative for economic development in the N/NE Interstate Corridor. Committee members use their professional skills and background to inform and drive the agency’s approach and investment of tax increment funding; review progress; and recommend adjustments to improve impact.
The core work of the committee:
- Lead work with a focus on engagement with communities of color
- Support partnerships with community-based organizations and leaders
- Provide recommendations on Action Plan direction and investment priorities
- Identify service providers to advise on Action Plan implementation.
- Assess progress and make recommendations to improve impact.
- Hold monthly meetings
Leadership Committee Roster
- Anielis Raas Lozada , Moonatic
- Isis Harris , IBEW, Oregon Tradeswomen, Constructing Hope
- Ndamukong Suh, HMS Development
- Karis Stoudamire-Phillips, Moda Health
- Michael Harper, State Farm Insurance
- Ebony Amato, Owner, XO PDX
- Jesse Hyatt, Black American Chamber of Commerce
- Tejara Brown, FFA Architecture
- Cherie Davis, SEI
- Aben Hill, Rivermark Community Credit Union
- Nicholas Green, Adidas