North Russell Street & Williams Avenue
Contact: Kimberly Moreland, email or 503-823-3220
Legacy Health, Prosper Portland and the City of Portland have formed a partnership to develop a 1.7 acre vacant block at North Russell Street and North Williams Avenue currently owned by Legacy Health. The focus of the development is to honor Portland’s African-American community, contribute to the neighborhood’s vibrancy, and further Legacy Health’s mission of promoting health and wellness for children and families.
The project site is highlighted in yellow.
- A development that benefits, supports and honors Portland’s African American community and furthers Legacy Health’s mission of promoting health and wellness
- Implementation of a transparent and community-centered process with significant community engagement.
- Creation of a Project Working Group to oversee entire community engagement and development process.
Possible Development Options
Land use zoning for the site allows for a wide range of uses in addition to medical center uses – including residential, retail and office uses. Examples of ideas that have been suggested include:
- Medical offices, a surgery center and patient and family housing center
- Inter-generational affordable and workforce housing for seniors and families
- Community gathering spaces
- Cultural business hub
- Open space
- Retail spaces and other community-desired amenities
|Possible Scale of Development|
|Developable Space||1.7 acre site; 222,000 square feet|
|Inclusionary Housing||As per City of Portland policy, if development includes 20 or more residential units, then it must include affordable housing|
|How many floors?||West: Up to 150 ft – or aprx. 10 stories
East: 45 to 75 ft – or aprx. 3-5 stories
|Comparable Project Costs||$35,000,000 – $75,000,000|
Initial Community Input
Legacy Emanuel Community Partnership Committee
This committee, formed in 2012 as part of the Emanuel Reconciliation Project, made the following recommendations:
- Engage and strengthen communication with the surrounding NE community, especially the African American community.
- Solicit information from the African American community before development of the vacant land.
- Any development of the land should include creating wealth – should involve African American businesses (minority contractors, local businesses, etc.)
- Focus on building affordable housing on the land
- Honor the history in a way that provides permanent acknowledgement of the events and is accessible to the entire community.
Portland Housing Bureau N/NE Housing Strategy
- The N/NE Housing Strategy for the Interstate Corridor Urban Renewal Area focused on the following objectives:
- Bring displaced populations back to the neighborhood
- Minority contracting for wealth creation
- Economic development and job creation
- Increase percentage of businesses owned by people of color
- Creation of an Oversight Committee responsible for ensuring implementation of strategy
- Recommends right project for the Legacy Site be determined in a collaborative manner through extensive community engagement process
N/NE Community Development Initiative Action Plan
An Oversight Committee was formed in 2017 to oversee implementation of the N/NE Community Development Initiative Action Plan. The objective of the Action Plan is to foster multi-generational wealth creation and community assets among African Americans and People of Color in Interstate URA:
- Promote property ownership and redevelopment
- Support business ownership and growth
- Investment in new and existing homes
- Advance Community Livability Projects and support non-profits
- Catalyze a Cultural-Business Hub to further culturally specific places and economic opportunities
|August 23, 2017||North/Northeast CDI Oversight Committee to review and discuss the N. Russell/Williams collaborative project. View meeting agenda|
|September 13, 2017||Prosper Portland Board of Commissioners receives update on status of outreach to Oversight Committee|
|September||North/Northeast CDI Oversight Committee meeting – exact date TBD|
|October||North/Northeast CDI Oversight Committee meeting – exact date TBD|